King Edward's School Home


I already have a will. Is it simple to change my existing will?

Yes.  Even if you already have a will, you can still leave a legacy to the Trust through a codicil (a document that amends a will).  If you are changing your will through a codicil, it is advisable that you seek advice from a solicitor.  

Can I avoid inheritance tax with a legacy to the Trust?

A legacy to King Edward's School Birmingham Trust is free from Inheritance Tax, which means that any gift you make to the Trust in your will is deducted from the value of your estate before it is assessed for Inheritance Tax.

Can you advise on appropriate wording to put into my will to include a legacy to the Trust?

We advise that you use a solicitor to amend an existing will or to include a legacy in a new will.  We have produced some suggested wording, which you can download from this site and take to your solicitor.  

Can my legacy be used to support other areas?

Of course we understand that donors may prefer to direct their legacy to other areas of the school such as facilities, the performing arts or sport. Please contact the Development Office at 0121 415 2245 or

Can the Trust claim Gift Aid on a gift in my will?

Unfortunately the Gift Aid scheme does not apply to gifts in wills.

What happens if one of my beneficiaries dies before me?

Your solicitor can draft the will in such a way that if one of your beneficiaries dies, either the gift reverts to the main estate (reversionary will) or that another person is nominated (conditional).  Your solicitor can advise you on both options.